SAFETY, Cancellation, Rules, Restrictions
HOW TO STAY SAFE
This activity can be safe and a lot of fun. Please understand that this activity is not without risk. As with any activity of this adventurous nature, there are inherent risks involved. Please thoroughly read through our risk acknowledgment form. With that said, to minimize the possibility of accidents, riders should diligently follow the rules and guidelines provided to them. In addition please ride responsibly. You are in control of your own self, know your limits and capabilities.
Bikers will be descending from 6,500ft. to sea level, but that ride down is spread out amongst 23 miles. There are also switch backs at the higher elevations resulting in a constant downhill but not extremely steep ride. Do not brake too hard. (The average grade of the route is 5%)
Support for Bikers
A support vehicle is available for your convenience at all times. “Self-guided” does not mean that you are all alone. Guided tours will have the escort vehicle behind them. We are always available if you need assistance with anything. We advise you to bring a cell phone with you on your trip, and if you do need help of any kind please just give us a call and we will be to your location promptly. We are never more than a half hour away.
ALL BIKE RIDERS MUST
Understand and acknowledge the risks involved in such an activity and sign a risk acknowledgment form before riding
Be 12 years old or older
Have recent bike riding experience
Be over 4’10” tall
Be physically capable of enduring this outdoor activity
Be free of any medications that may cause drowsiness
Not be pregnant
Not weigh over 270 lbs
Wear closed-toe shoes
RULES OF THE ROAD
- HELMETS ARE A MUST No Questions! You cannot grow a new brain.
- MAINTAIN CONCENTRATION Always be aware of what is in front of you. Avoid looking behind you. Save your sightseeing for the side of the road.
- AVOID ALL DISTRACTIONS Do not attempt to adjust clothing, clean glasses, use your phone, use camera, or smoke while riding.
- KEEP BOTH HANDS ON THE HANDLEBARS AND BOTH FEET ON THE PEDALS at all times to best maintain full control of the bike.
- AVOID PANIC STOPS Steady pressure on the brakes is best for a smooth stop. Front and rear brakes should always be used at the same time to prevent going over the handlebars or skidding out.
- SINGLE FILE SPACING Local authorities say you cannot ride side by side. Just like any other vehicle on the road –You must ride single file. Keep at least 40-50 feet between bicycles to allow enough space to maneuver if the lead bike is to stop suddenly. There are no brake lights on bikes.
- STAY TO THE RIGHT & AVOID THE CENTERLINE Avoid traffic as best as you can, ride as far to the right of your lane as possible and close to the white line. Avoid the center line. Uphill traffic can cross the center line especially in sharp turns.
- IF A BIKE LANE IS PROVIDED PLEASE USE IT When there is suitable space beyond the white line, please use it with caution. If you don’t feel safe doing so, please stay as close to the white line without compromising your safety. Avoid the edge of the pavement and guardrails.
- YIELD TO DOWNHILL TRAFFIC This goes for both bikers and vehicles. When being approached from behind, maintain a straight line, but allow room for the passing vehicle to overtake you.
- PASS WITH CAUTION – SOUND OFF When you are overtaking another bicycle, do so with caution and only when safe and in a straight away. Let them know you are coming around on their left.
- SLOW BEFORE ALL CURVES AND TURNS You won’t be able to tell how sharp a turn can be until it’s too late.
- NEVER STOP IN A BLIND CURVE OR TURN You can never tell what’s coming up in front of you or up from behind you. Wait for straight sections for best visibility if stopping.
- NO STUNT RIDING Enjoy your ride, but make safety your priority. No “S” turns, slalom , or off road riding.
- SLOW FOR CATTLE GUARDS Stay straight and steady and avoid using brakes while in contact with metal grating.
- COMPLY WITH ROAD LAWS AND OBSERVE ALL POSTED STREET SIGNS. Stop at stop signs and when crossing the street. Your bike is a licensed vehicle, so obey all traffic laws.
- RIDE AT A SAFE SPEED Everyone has their own comfort zone. Ride responsibly and safely. You determine what a safe speed is for yourself.
- BE MINDFUL OF THE WEATHER The weather can be unpredictable. Sun, rain, fog, heat, and cold can all affect your ride. Please use caution when dealing with these elements.
- STOP IF YOU DO NOT FEEL SAFE If you are having trouble with your bike or weather conditions are causing you problems, or just do not feel safe, by all means STOP! Take a short breather and as conditions improve you may want to return to your bicycle. Our staff will be ready to assist you if you do decide to give us a call.
We reserve the right to remove you from the tour if you are a danger to yourself, others, or for any other reason.
If at any time you need assistance, we are a phone call away.
BE SAFE and HAVE FUN!
Our Crew thanks you for riding with us today!
Gratuities not included in purchase price. You are welcome to show your aloha to our helpful guides
All reservations are paid for in full at the time of booking. Cancelations within the last 48 hours prior to activity date will not be issued any refund and be charged 100% for the activity. No Refunds will be issued to “No Shows”. Cancelations due to medical reasons can result in a refund if a doctor’s note is provided.
Groups of 10 or more must cancel at least 1 week (7 days) prior to their scheduled activity date. If a cancelation for a group booking is made after the 7 day mark, there will be no refund issued.
Activities may be canceled by Bike Maui for reasons including but not limited to inclement weather, road hazards, lack of participation, resource allocation etc. In the event of a canceled activity the following options will be available to the clients. A trip that is cancelled prior to any services provided will result in first the option to reschedule. If the client is unable to reschedule a full refund may be issued on a case by case basis.
Activities may be modified, shortened, or changed for but not limited to the reasons stated above. If the company does modify the activity, the price of the downgraded activity will still be applied and difference refunded. If the company provides any transportation or tour services but the activity is modified or canceled to not include a significant portion of the activity, then a 50% service fee will be applied to cover the costs of the services provided. The difference of the purchase price will be refunded.
Customers may decline to participate in their scheduled activity at any point and are encouraged to do so if they are not comfortable participating in the activity. Those who decline to participate due to the nature of the activity may request a refund if that request is made prior to services being offered. Refunds of any sort will be determined on a case by case basis by management.