Haleakala is a 10,000 ft volcano and as you bike the distance of up to 23 miles, you will experience incredible views, a fascinating history, and underappreciated culture. However, you are also riding in unfamiliar territory, through unpredictable weather, on rental bicycles, and on paved public roadways.
Some elements that you need to be aware of may include but are not limited to the following:
• Curving/winding paved roads with many 180 degree turns
• Steep inclines and declines
• Road reflectors, guardrails, and pylons in place for cars, not for bicycles
• Roadway debris
• Varying climate including hot and cold temperatures, dry and wet weather, and high altitude
• Vehicular traffic – private and commercial
Before you participate in this activity, please consider the risks involved which are not limited to those listed here or in the waiver and risk acknowledgement form. You must be capable of competently riding a bicycle and should have recent biking experience.
• Have recent biking experience
• Ability to use a mountain bike with disc brakes, suspension, and gears
• Capable of completing a 23 mile downhill bike ride at a safe speed
• Physically healthy and not have health concerns that may affect your ability to complete the ride safely.
• Meet the age minimum of 12 years AND the height requirement 4’10” or taller.
• Understand, acknowledge and adhere to ALL provided rules and guidelines.
Your safety and the safety of others that use the road is our top priority, so we ask that you know before you go, what this activity entails and the risks involved in such activity.
Bike Maui is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace and activity for all our employees and
guests. We have developed a comprehensive preparedness plan in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
in order to safeguard the safety and health of everyone on our tours. Below is a summary of what to
expect on your Bike Maui adventure:
• Thorough training of staff on preventing the spread of germs and viruses
• All common areas will be sanitized
• All vehicle interiors will be sanitized
• All bikes will be sanitized
• All helmets and gear will be sanitized
• Masks will be worn by all employees
• Wear a mask
• Have temperature taken
• Sanitize hands
• Answer health questions regarding COVID-19
• Practice social distancing as much as possible
• Do not share your helmet, bike, or gear with other guests
• Masks should be worn by all attendees (both staff and guests)
• Maintain social distancing as much as possible
• If you or a member of your party feels ill at any time during your tour, stop immediately and
report it to our staff
Together, we can provide a safe and incredibly fun activity to enjoy while on Maui.
Mahalo for your cooperation and understanding and get ready to enjoy the best bike ride…EVER!
* This plan is based on information from the CDC and OSHA at the time of its development and is
subject to change based on further information provided by the CDC, OSHA, and other government and
public health officials. Bike Maui may amend this plan based on safety, operational needs, and new
If anyone is unable or unwilling to comply, or have failed to meet the COVID safety requirements, we have the right to refuse service for the safety of both staff and visitors.